Welcome to the Maplewood Daily! This is your 5-minute rundown of Maplewood events, classes, social media posts, and local news.
Hey, neighbors! It’s me again, Caren Lissner, your host of the Maplewood Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly cloudy with a shower. High: 69 Low: 60.
Here are the top stories in Maplewood today:
- Maplewood Area Pumpkin Patches To Visit (Maplewood Patch)
- Fire in CHS Boys’ Bathroom Leads to Building Evacuation; Principal Cautions Against ‘Vandalism’ ()
- Petition Asks SOMA Schools to Start COVID-19 Surveillance Testing ()
- October 4: Essex County Reports 93,881 (+49) Cases of COVID-19, 2,815 Deaths ()
- Luna Stage Performs Stories From Mexico Border ()
Today’s Maplewood Daily is brought to you by our friends at Ring, the home security company. Ring does a lot more than doorbells: check out their full suite of smart home products at . And thank you Ring for helping to make local news happen in Maplewood!
Today in Maplewood:
Maplewood Patch Notebook
- Maplewood Village: “Have you noticed anything different in the Village? Our new lamppost banners look great! Thank you to Cesare and the DPW team for hanging them!” ()
- Alzheimer’s Association Greater New Jersey Chapter: “Thank you Congressman Chris Smith for your steadfast commitment to all New Jerseyans affected by Alzheimer’s, and for your special message of support for all participants of the Monmouth-Ocean Walk To End Alzheimer’s on October 3. There’…” ()
- Alzheimer’s Association Greater New Jersey Chapter: “It’s less than 2 weeks until the Bergen-Passaic #Walk2EndAlz! Join us at Overpeck Park, in Ridgefield Park, on Sunday, October 17 at 8:30 am. Register at alz.org/njwalk Together, we will #ENDALZ” ()
- The Valerie Fund: “Looking for more ways to relive the magic of The Valerie Fund Walk & 5K Run? Check out our online photo albums by clicking on the link below to download beautiful photos and memories! #becauseofvalerie #forthekids https://pottheiser.draw…” ()
- Maplewood Village: “Thank you, GenWealth Group, for opening your annual client Shred Day to the Village merchants and businesses last week! We’re lucky to have you in the Village! Find out more about GenWealth at thegenwealthgroup.com” ()
- South Orange-Maplewood Adult School: “TONIGHT! 🌱 PLANTS FOR WINTER INTEREST! 🌱 Many gardeners forget that numerous plants provide flower, foliage or bark interest throughout the cold and dreary winter months. This class will focus upon the best of the best for winter inter…” ()
- South Orange-Maplewood Adult School: “FINANCIAL AID WORKSHOP (Tuesday, October 5th): Applying for financial aid can be just as daunting as applying to college. In this ninety-minute workshop you’ll learn how to navigate the financial aid process, including tips on how to com…” ()
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- BRWL Boxing + Yoga Studio — Best. Workout. Ever – Try Your First Class for FREE ()
- TheCannaBosslady — 10% off High quality, small batch, CBD, use code Lady10 ()
- Add your business here
- After School Acting & Musical Theatre Classes in Chatham (October 6)
- INTRO TO 2D GAMING – Learn Unity & C# – Teens & Adults (October 7)
- Unemployed? Obtain a Free Training Grant for Top Certifications (October 7)
- Sisters Network Essex County Virtual 5K Run/Walk (October 9)
- SMR Mayapple Trail Runs (October 16)
- Add your event
Thanks for following along and staying informed! See you tomorrow for another update. If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe. — Caren Lissner
About me: Hi! I’m a lifelong New Jersey resident who grew up in Matawan/Aberdeen, Freehold, and Old Bridge. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in the 1990s and now live in Hoboken. After college, I spent 20 years as a beat reporter and editor at a newspaper chain in Hudson County, and have written for the Washington Post and Atlantic.com. I’ve also published two novels, one of which was adapted into a nerdy romantic comedy that’s currently streaming on Netflix (called Carrie Pilby). I believe in the power of local journalism to do so much good in large and small ways. Reach me at email@example.com
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Maplewood Daily? You can email me at .