Piper, a San Francisco based company, has introduced the Piper Make Robotics Expedition Kit, a hands-on experience for building and coding robots at home
Learning, Inc., an award-winning STEAM education company, has launched its new Piper Make Robotics Expedition Kit, which is an add-on to its existing platform. The Kit comprises servo motors and custom laser cut wood pieces that can be assembled using an engineering Blueprint. It enables users to get started with story-based lessons on the company’s online platform.
This new Robotics Expedition Kit equips kids with hands-on experience in building robots based on their imagination. With two kinetic creations—the Walker, ambulatory (quadruped), and the Rover, an omnidirectional (3-roller) — they can seek inspiration from the world around them to come up with robotics design, which are intuitive, yet powerfully accessible.
Available free of charge, the browser-based Make platform is compatible with Chromebooks and other computers. It leverages storytelling-based lessons to motivate the hands-on building process rather than relying on a theoretical approach. Users can learn to build with their Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller in a physical fashion.
What’s more, the Piper Make is for everyone – from the amateur to advanced users. With interactive, virtual representations of the microcontroller, translations of Google Blockly code to text-based Circuit Python, and more, Piper Make is designed to empower anyone to learn the basics of hardware and coding.
Customers can order their Robotics Expedition Kits on playpiper.com, to use with their Piper Make Starter Kits. Each pack includes (4) Servo Motors, (2) Servo Wheels with Tires, Ultrasonic Range Finder, (13) Laser Cut, Laser Etched Wood pieces, 3D Printed Sensor holder, Screwdriver, and jumper wires. Shipping of Made in India kits is expected to start in March 2022; however, users can order their kits on playpiper.com now.
Piper Make Starter Kits, which include the Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller, are available as a one-time $49.99 purchase.
With the Piper Make Robotics Expedition Kit, budding technocrats can indulge in an interactive and gamified experience to make their foray into STEM. It challenges them to hone their real-life problem-solving talents coupled with creative computational thinking, logical reasoning, and better observation skills.
To experience the Robotics Expedition Kit, users will need the Starter Kit (Raspberry Pi Pico, breadboard, LEDs, resistors, switches and wires) which they can seamlessly use with dozens of projects on the Piper Make platform. Five (5) new projects are included with the Robotics Kit as well. Key features include:
- Build Your Own Robots: Users can start by using the engineering Blueprint to assemble their Walker and Rover robots and learn how the pieces fit together to allow the widgets to move. Designed to inspire creativity and critical thinking about robotic design and inspiration drawn from the natural world, these robots allow a first foray into understanding the role of robotics—to improve and safeguard human functionality by mimicking repetitive tasks that we would ordinarily do.
- Piper Make Coding Interface: Users can plug their connected robots to their Raspberry Pi Pico and head over to Piper Make, the easy-to-use online, drag-and-drop coding interface to program the robots to move! They can also access a reference library of user-friendly descriptions for use in new projects and creations, and seamlessly extend the Piper experience. In addition, users can view the Python version of Google Blockly code in real-time while coding and understand the connection between text-based and visual programming.
- Raspberry Pi Pico: The powerful microcontroller from the Raspberry Pi Foundation is the newest on the market. Versatile and tiny, this board uses the new RP2040 microcontroller chip and features a powerful ARM M0 dual-core processor with programmable GPIO pins that make the possible applications endless.
- Chromebook/Classroom Compatibility: The Piper Make coding interface is accessible from a browser, allowing users to plug in their Pico and start prototyping immediately. Piper Make is ideally suited for collaboration and remote learning as well—visible during screen-sharing and with “Build Your Own Project” features to allow students to code projects and share with classmates and teachers. Building on the foundation of the Piper Premium Curriculum, the Piper Make platform features standards-aligned lessons to make educators’ experiences a joy.
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
• Piper Make Interface: Free, access at https://make.playpiper.com
• Piper Make Starter Kit: Piper website, $49.99
• Piper Make Robotics Expedition Kit: Piper Website, $99.99
• Piper Make Starter + Robotics Expedition Kit: Piper website, $129 for a limited time only*
** Ordering is currently available on playpiper.com, with Made in India kits available on Amazon.in for shipping in March 2022.
Founded in 2014, is an award-winning edtech start-up providing best in class STEAM education opportunities. From its headquarters in San Francisco, CA, Piper creates compelling STEAM learning experiences for individual learners and for schools. Through student-centered, hands-on STEAM education experiences that reflect the most current pedagogy, Piper supports educators, students and classrooms. Piper builds confidence in STEAM through project-based learning, spreads digital fluency to students and learners of all backgrounds and inspires the inventors of tomorrow.
Co-founder, Piper Inc.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PIPER:
• Follow us on
• Like Piper on
• Follow Piper on
• Follow Piper on
• Visit Piper on or
Disclaimer: This article has been produced on behalf of Piper by Mediawire team.