The safety and security of OHIO students and the campus community is our top priority. In light of the recent tragic events that have affected our peer institutions across the higher education landscape, we’d like to share information regarding the resources, programs and notification tools that are available to help keep our community safe, educated and informed.
In the event of a critical incident or emergency, the University community will be notified through a variety of channels, including text message, email, phone and more. The kinds of emergency notifications you receive may vary based on the situation, and they’ll provide important information or action steps for you to take.
To ensure you’re up-to-date on any campus emergencies, we encourage you to sign up for OHIO’s Emergency Notifications and to keep your contact information up to date as needed.
Bobcat Safe App
Launched in 2019, the Bobcat Safe campus safety app offers more than 50 features, including emergency resources, advanced location services, interactive maps, crime reporting and an unlimited number of push notifications for the University’s Athens campus.
The app is available for download on both the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Ohio University Police Department (OUPD)
OUPD serves our campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Additionally, their team offers free Active Threat (ALiCE) training to help prepare the community for an active shooter. Call OUPD at 740-593-1911 and ask to speak with Lt. Brittney VanBibber to schedule an ALiCE training for your group.
Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS)
CPS offers numerous mental health services, including individual, group, relationship therapy, medication referrals, crisis support and other vital mental health and well-being resources.
- To speak with a counselor, or to initiate services, please visit CPS during drop-in hours Mon-Fri between 9:45 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. or call 740-593-1616 to schedule an appointment.
- After-hours support is available via counselor drop-in hours Sun-Fri between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. at the Living Learning Center (Room 160) throughout the academic year. You can also call 740-593-1616 and choose “1” to speak with a counselor or dial 988 if immediate assistance is needed.
Additional safety tips, programs and services available
OUPD has developed a set of safety tips and programs for Ohio University students, faculty and staff on multiple topics, including:
- Active Shooter Situation
- Credit Card Fraud
- Emergency Response Protocols
- Personal Property Inventory
- Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) System
- Survivor Advocacy Program
- Telephone Harassment