Chinese SinoVoip has teased a Raspberry Pi-style single-board computer, the Banana Pi BPI-M5, with an Amlogic S905X3 four-core Cortex-A55 processor.
The Raspberry Pi rival features a system on chip with 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM, 16GB of eMMC storage, four USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, an HDMI port, and just like its fruity rival, a 40-pin GPIO (general-purpose input/output) rack to connect other devices.
As noted by Liliputing, this forthcoming little computer from SinoVoip is a major upgrade on last year’s Banana Pi BPI-M4, bringing double the storage, quadruple the memory, faster Ethernet, and the new Amlogic processor.
The good news for buyers is that it’s likely to be a cheap computer, given the M4 costs under $40 at online retailers.
Embedded-computing news site CNX-software notes that Banana Pi BPI-M5 follows the Raspberry Pi form factor, but is also similar to the Odroid-C4 from South Korean open-source hardware designer Hardkernel.
The Odroid-C4 is cheaper than Raspberry Pi’s 4GB model by about $5. It too has an Amlogic quad-core Cortex A55 S905X3 processor with a Mali-G31 GPU and 4GB of DDR4 memory. The A55 cores run at 2GHz and aims to support users who don’t want thermal throttling.
Both the Odroid-C4 and the Banana Pi BPI-M5 are gunning for the $55 4GB Raspberry Pi 4. All of them, including the Raspberry Pi, can be used to create media centers, file servers, games consoles, routers, ad-blockers, or just to play Minecraft with a connected TV display.
The Odroid-C4’s Amlogic S905X3 unit outperformed the Raspberry Pi 4 on two of four performance benchmarks and is about equal to it in two other tests. However, it also didn’t come with come with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. The Banana Pi BPI-M5 also lacks built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi support.
SinoVoip says the computer will support Android and Linux-based operating systems.
More on Raspberry Pi and single-board computers
- Raspberry Pi 4 faces $59 Rock Pi 4C challenger with dual display output
- Raspberry Pi: Now computer-vision apps get boost with Khronos OpenVX API
- New Raspberry Pi OS update: First 8GB Pi 4, now you get these latest features
- New Raspberry Pi 4: 8GB RAM model out now for $75 – plus you get a new 64-bit OS
- New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device
- Raspberry Pi reveals this new $50 high-quality Pi camera with interchangeable lenses
- Raspberry Pi alternative: New Odroid-C4 undercuts 4GB Raspberry Pi 4 by $5
- Raspberry Pi sales jump: Here’s why the tiny computer’s in demand in coronavirus crisis
- Raspberry Pi 4’s big price cut: 2GB model gets massive birthday reduction
- Raspberry Pi’s Raspbian gets new features: File manager, Thonny Python IDE updates
- Raspberry Pi 4 graphics win: Open-source Vulkan driver support is coming
- Raspberry Pi gets MIT’s Scratch 3 programming language for Raspbian
- Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspbian Buster: Hands-On
- Raspberry Pi 4 won’t work with some power cables due to its USB-C design flaw
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is out: Faster CPU, GPU, dual-screen 4K, up to 4GB for $55
- Raspberry Pi users: You got Pi 4, now new Raspbian takes Windows 10, iOS design cues
- What are the best Raspberry Pi alternatives? Everything you need to know about Pi rivals
- What is the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B? A closer look at the new board and what it can do TechRepublic
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B review: This board really can replace your PC TechRepublic
- Raspberry Pi 4 : This thing is a PC, says board’s creator Eben Upton TechRepublic
- New Raspberry Pi add-on: Now you can monitor air pollution indoors and out
- Raspberry Pi: A cheat sheet TechRepublic
- Google includes a Raspberry Pi in a DIY smart speaker kit CNET